Friday, August 8, 2008

Lauren's Little Friend

So, John was out cutting trees or doing something else manly and outdoorsy yesterday afternoon. And, he comes home with a new pet for Lauren. Which wouldn't be a problem if it were something small, cute and furry. But, it wasn't. This little guy is her new best friend. He's small, but a far cry from cute and furry.

What is that on her head? I asked the same question. It is some sort of lizard. I think it looks like a miniature Komodo dragon. She named it Rusty. And, then she did this:



And, then this:

No, she didn't bite Rusty's head off. But, she did kiss him. Several times. And, take him for a ride in the baby doll stroller.
Rusty had the time of his life. Actually, I think he was in a state of shock. Notice Catherine's diaper on the floor. I have no explanation for that.

Nor, do I have any explanation for why my daughter loves lizards, caterpillars, and crickets as much as she loves dressing up as a princess and wearing tiaras. She is well rounded.

I try to be supportive of her interests, I really do. John does not want any "sissy" girls, and I agree with him. But, that lizard really creeps me out. I can handle the cute green ones. Oh, those are fine. But, the ones that resemble miniature Komodo dragons? John, please. There is only so much I can take.

This morning Lauren figured out just how much they creep me out. I was helping her get dressed and she was holding the dragon, I mean lizard. As we were putting on her shorts she put her hand on my shoulder. The same hand that held the lizard. I screamed (like the girl that I am) and jumped away. Lauren laughed. She was delighted to see the look of horror that had flashed across my face.

So, as I was bending down to finish helping her put on her shorts, she throws Rusty as close to my face as possible. "He wants to give you a kiss, Mommy." I told her I was allergic to lizard kisses.


Oh, and if you were wondering what a Komodo dragon is, here you go:
That is Rusty's cousin. Frightening, huh? Imagine a miniature version living in a mason jar inside your house!

3 comments:

The Dyer Family said...

my sister used to catch of those little green tree lizards (2 at a time), and she would get them to bite on her ear lobes like earrings. she wants to teach her daughters how to do that, but they don't have those harmless lizards in gainesville.
also, joe has a theory that all lizards are french. so, every time he sees one, he says, "bonjour moinseur leee-zard!"
you are tolerating that dragon much better than i would - i would have to refrain from "accidentally" killing it!

rushton3 said...

I love reading your blogs. You should have been a writer. This is too funny. I would have reacted the same way you did if Yancey brought something like that home. YIKES! I hope he doesn't escape in your house. Too cute...I mean Lauren, not the lizard.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, you are just too funny. I totally agree that well-rounded girls are the only way to go but I think a turtle or frog would have been better. Those dragons continue to grow forever. When he gets big enough to take you, make some shoes.
Heidi